Sour Kiwi Sweets

What do you do when you are given a whole bag of Kiwi's? 




You try different dishes including Sour sweets. 

I know that many sweets contain gelatin, derived from animal collagen, this is a protein that comes from skin and bones, sounds appetising right? Not for myself or my family. So what do I do when my son grows up and asks me for sweets? I'm going to try and make my own. For some time I wanted to try making sweets with strawberries but as the kiwi's had arrived first I thought of trying them first.

I'm not going to lie, the preparation is the easiest one so far, however, the wait is a long one. You can dehydrate them if you have the correct utensils for this but in my case I didn't so I did this the traditional way.


- Turn the oven on at the lowest heat.
- Peel the kiwi and cut them into 5 mm slices.
- Put them on oven proof paper and place in oven
- Leave for 6 - 8 hours (yes you read that right)   

 I recommend you do this on a lazy Sunday when you know you won't be doing anything exciting and have time on your hands. Obviously you leave them in the oven and set your alarm and have nothing to worry about. I also recommend you do a large batch of them as you won't be doing this too often.

The end result is great though. You have a fruit which is a sweet and has an amazing sour kick to it. Next time I'll try strawberries and tell you what they taste like. hopefully they will be slightly sweeter as I do prefer sweet flavours than sour.




No comments:

Post a Comment