Vegan Friendly Recipe: Porridge for Breakfast


 What do you have for breakfast in the mornings?

We all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so why do most of us skip it?

We are all in a rush and like to get extra minutes in bed and this is one reason why we don't bother. Then mid morning comes and you are starving. I know waking up a bit earlier in the morning to eat seems like a chore in itself, or most of you don't have an appetite in the morning but if you get used to eating something you will wake up with an appetite for something and you can turn this into your ritual.

Wake up, be grateful for being alive, get ready for work / school and make yourself a breakfast that is healthy, nutritious and yummy.

Since my baby was born I started to lose weight at a fast rate, this is due to my very active lifestyle and fast metabolism. I was getting worried that I'd lose too much weight so instead of skipping breakfast I made sure I had it every morning and my partner told me to try porridge.



"Oats are among the healthiest grains on earth.
They’re a gluten-free whole grain and a great source of important vitamins, minerals, fibre and antioxidants.
Studies show that oats and oatmeal have many health benefits.
These include weight loss, lower blood sugar levels and a reduced risk of heart disease."
Source: https://authoritynutrition.com/9-benefits-oats-oatmeal/

In the beginning I wasn't too keen to be  honest, porridge to me was a boring dish that reminded me of when I lived in the UK and my dad would eat it before work to keep his belly warm and so he could last till his break. I associated porridge with cold, why would I eat this in sunny Barcelona? But I needed to eat something healthy and cereal contains so much sugar that I knew I needed a change,

Nowadays with social media we can get plenty of ideas and inspiration and that's exactly what  I looked for.

I wanted to eat porridge but add some flavour to it and I did.




Ingredients:

1/2 cup Oats
2 cups of water
Pinch of salt
Banana
Goji Berries
Grated Coconut
Cacao

Method:

1. Put oats, water and salt in a saucepan.
2. Put at a high heat and bring to boil.
3. Once it begins to boil, bring to a low heat and leave to simmer for 3 - 4 mins.

I added the goji berries into the porridge so they would cook as I usually add them in raw but they can get a bit too chewy. Add some cacao (1 tbsp)

I have this every day (I change up the added ingredients) with freshly squeezed orange and grapefruit juice and chia seeds. If I don't have my juice I feel like i'm missing something. It's good to feel that for something healthy, right?




No comments:

Post a Comment