Washing your hands ladies?




It is ironic that some years ago there was a worldwide swine flu scare, where there were people getting sick and there were even some deaths. Companies around the world decided that hygiene had to be "super" imposed on all staff members, buying soap dispensers for people’s desks, putting signs all over the place to make sure people knew how to wash their own hands and people were told to keep clean and not spread germs.  At first I thought it was very patronising but after being a witness to most female companions in the loo I was truly shocked.
It seems to me people have forgotten what hygiene is, or at least where I have worked in the past and where I socialize. In no way am I going to generalize and say all Spanish women are the same, because I know for a fact that some women wash their hands and I was also taught to do the same.
 
Saying that though, it does appear to me that MOST of the women that I witness come out of the loo, don’t seem to ever wash their hands. Thank goodness I don’t work in hospitality. At first I was insulted with all the "wash your hands" signs explaining how you are supposed to wash your hand, I really believed that it was a joke but it isn’t, people don’t even bother to look at the tap let alone wash their hands!
Many times I have been caught up in the scenario where I’m washing my hands or drying them off when I see a young/middle aged and even old woman come out of the cubicle, they look me into the eyes, smile then they turn and look at their hair in the mirror and then just turn and walk out the door!
I know you may read this and think; gosh you must get bored or think I have nothing else to write about, maybe, but this has been on my mind for months (every time I step into the ladies and see this dirty habit) on end as I always go to bars, concerts, gyms and see the same thing. Woman leaves toilet without washing her hands. I would say, each one to their own, but after contemplating the fact that many times I will get introduced to a person and will shake their hand and I’m left with the reminder that person may or may not of washed their hands. Plus there are so many of them, and they are all women! Did their mothers never teach them to clean after themselves?
Is it that difficult to splash a bit of soap and water on you? You have time to fix your hair and make up but not clean the germs from below?
I know this can come across offensive if you are Spanish and do wash your hands, but this isn’t my intention, Im raising the alarm to all those who shake hands with people – Think Twice!
Now I understand the whole concept of the two kisses in Spain and why it is used!!
For those who have any doubts on how to wash your hands, here is a guide:
Hand-Washing Steps
  1. Wet your hands
  2. Apply soap
  3. Scrub vigorously
  4. Rinse your hands
  5. Dry your hands
  6. Turn tap off



1 comment:

  1. Hahaha funny, I work in Spain and also can't get over the fact of how many Spanish women don't wash their hands!! Of course one shouldn't generalise but the fact is I see it everyday how girls are leaving the bathrooms at work without having washed their hands... I don't know where the difficulty is in it? Maybe I should print your Hand Washing Steps and stick it in the bathroom too LOL! But yea, I also think twice when shaking hands now...

    ReplyDelete