National day of Catalonia

On the 11th of September most of the World will be remembering the perished souls from the twin towers, and in Catalonia people remember that but remember more the "diada de Catalunya" National day of Catalonia.
It commemorates the defeat of the Catalan troops fighting during the war of the Spanish Succession. The holiday was first celebrated in 11 September 1886, was suppressed by the Franco dictatorship in 1939 and reinstated in 1980 by the government of Catalonia, upon its restoration after the Franco dictatorship

Whenever you are in conversation with a Catalan you will find out important history but if you want to avoid any heated discussions avoid mentioning the independence of Catalunya, or any critisim of the politics involved, this is a double sided argument where I neither agree or disagree on, however, saying that, tomorrow is a special day in Catalunya and no one should try and spoil it and everyone should respect eachother.

Saying that I already started to stir trouble unintentionally, I shared a picture (below) on one of my many social media sites, which to me is a friendly message, but I already got people from both sides putting comments, sadly the Catalans said they don't us and we don't want them (Spain). I know that not everyone thinks the same but sadly there is so much rivalry instead of animosity. That was not my intention nor my friend who originally posted it.

Here is the picture. Visca Catalunya i Viva EspaƱa, tots junts, todos juntos.

  I love Spain and I love Catalonia and want to feel I can belong to both without being judged in anyway.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's nice that you posted that. I think Castilians and Catalans should just get along. It is the Politicians that's causing all the problems. Rajoy doesn't want to give catalunya a break and Artur Mas is ASKING for trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the Same with the English and the Irish

    ReplyDelete