Im back after getting lost in Naples....

Dear blog,
It feels like it has been an eternity since I have written to you. So much has happened. Been busy adjusting to my new life in the village, picking up my Italian well, getting used to the tranquility and slow speed of everything that surrounds me, the only stress I suffer from is the old women that try and push infront of me in the supermarket till, (I think it doesn't matter where you are, you can't avoid it).
We have had many guests stay with us and so far they seem to leave content.

I have driven on the search to find mount Vesuvius but instead I have experienced witnessing the worst ever driving and roads possible to have been made. Firstly we drove to Scampia, which is known as one of the most dodgiest places to exist in Naples. And the buildings gave off that image. Tall, grey and dirty buildings with a strange construction that resembles something telling you "please do not enter".



Then driving in Naples city centre was the worst nightmare for myself and any driver that isn't Neapolitan.
Cars flying in any possible gap, ignoring every single sort of sign or traffic light. The drivers seem selfish and will never give you way, it seems to be unheard of there. Mopeds with three passengers and none wearing helmets. I couldn't believe what I was seeing until a moped hit my car and the guy just drove off as if nothing had happened.
Then my boyfriend tells me "you knew it was like this".
I saw red and stormed out of the car. He was right, I had heard the Naples was a city which is recommended not to drive in, but i honestly didn't think it would be that bad.
It was a nightmare that will not be easily forgotten and honestly I was left scarred. I was screaming, fuming and even almost in tears of frustration as I had no control of where I was going. It was like being in a labyrinth with no end. After two hours of driving in what seemed like circles, we finally saw two police officers where they explained to us how to leave this mad driving world. I swore I would never drive there again, until I bought myself a nice tomtom. I decided to go against my word and try one more time. If I left alive and in good spirits, I would then know I could do this more than once.

I left in almost good spirits. I came to the conclusion that I need to think and live like an Italian and then I would be able to adjust well to this city of no law and their own rules.

So wish me luck.....

Naples is a beautiful city and I still need to discover more of this place, so hopefully with time I will get to share the delights of this city.

1 comment:

  1. OHHH MYYYY GOOOOD! Sounds like my worst nightmare babe! you poor thing - your right though, its a matter of adjusting to their ways which will be hard as you are used to being polite. Sounds a million times worse than London! Id be permanently vex - dont even like driving here. Im sure you'll get used to it though lol

    ReplyDelete