BBQ Pulled "pork" Mushroom

As a vegan who wants to stay creative and never feel like I'm missing out, I try to go back to certain food cravings I've had and then work on it to meet that need but without death or blood on my hands. I went vegan mostly for the animals, but also for my health and the environment and when I eat it needs to be tasty, wholesome and guilt free.
This is a really easy and tasty recipe which takes me back to those days when I would eat pulled pork Arepa's, A typical dish from Venezuela and Colombia which are like mini sandwiches made with corn flour and filled with different ingredients to make a tasty snack or dinner.
I don't miss the pork but I miss the texture and the BBQ taste and since I discovered the oyster mushroom it made me easier to recreate this sandwich filler.

This recipe is super quick and easy to make and one I recommend if you like BBQ sauce.




I tend to do a weekly shop at my grocers and depending what is available, I then decide what to cook for the week. I used to make the mistake of buying so many vegetables that by the end of the week most of the food had gone rotten or mouldy and I had to throw it and apart from being a Vegan I do try to be as environmentally friendly as possible and try not to do waste anything, including food.

 The best mushrooms I have found to do this are the King oyster mushrooms. If you can see in the picture they ready to be shredded because of their form.

You can easily shred them with a fork or use a knife following the lines of the mushroom.











Ingredients:
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 onion sliced
1 packet of King oyster Mushrooms shredded/pulled
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Black pepper
1/2 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1tsp ground garlic
1/2 cup of BBQ sauce

Recipe:
1. Wash and slice the onion.
2. Put the oil into a frying pan, large enough to fit all the mushrooms so it cooks evenly. Put on a medium heat.
3. Wash and pull/shred the mushrooms into thin slices.
4. Put the onions into the pan and fry for 2 minutes or until a bit golden,
5. Stir the mushrooms into the pan and continue to fry at a medium-high heat for about 6 - 7 mins, or until most of the water has evaporated and they begin to brown.
6. Add the seasoning; Paprika, salt, Black pepper, Cumin, ground cinnamon, ground garlic and stir and leave for a further 2 mins.
7. Add the BBQ sauce, I recommend you add gradually according to your taste. I put less than half a cup but you can add more or less.
8. Leave for a few more minutes until the sauce begins to caramelize.
9. You will see it has a thick caramelised texture and the Pulled mushrooms are ready to take out.

You can serve this in a sandwich, an arepa or even with a jacket potato.
It's an easy, quick recipe and i'm sure you will love it.



No comments:

Post a Comment