The Mystery of the Missing Seat



If you visit Italy, one thing you will definitely notice is the lack of toilet seats in local bars, restaurants, private houses and wherever a toilet is found. It is definitely an experience for those who are not from here or who are visiting for the first time. Firstly for the lack of seats and secondly for its uncomfortableness.

My question is always, why?

Why do people not have toilet seats on the toilet?

Is it a question of hygiene so people do not sit on the seat?

Is it so they do not pee all over the place?

Is it to keep the toilets cleaner?



Toilets in general are not kept clean. You will almost never find toilet paper so my first recommendation is that you always carry a packet of tissues to avoid any surprises.
Even Colombia, a country where people think is poor (which is definitely not the case unless you are visiting the amazons and those toilets are definitely unique) have cleaner toilets. Fair enough in Colombia you have to pay for the toilet paper but the toilets are pristine clean. But here in Italy, a European country; almost always have dirty toilets, with that horrible stench of wee.


I really do not know but I find it really ugly visiting a restaurant and you have to hover, squat and keep your balance over the seat trying to aim perfectly without splashing anything. I don’t normally sit on the seat in public places but having a seat does give you more of a sense of security. And not only do you find the toilets with no seats, last year I had the experience of finding a small hole in the ground, and porcelain footrests on each side! Now that was an adventure.

Where did I find this? In the San Paolo (Napoli Football grounds) stadium, a very public place. I was like “no way, this really can't be happening to me”. Plus I was the only girl there so I didn't have a girlfriend to joke or laugh with.
So if you are really dying to use the loo for a number two I suggest you hold it in or if you can’t hold it in, just pray no one is in the toilet to hear you splash away. And make sure you aim very well so the repercussions aren’t obvious.

Toilet seats aren’t expensive either, I have looked around and they cost about 5 €, so why oh why do people not put toilet seats on their base?
Can someone please enlighten me?


No comments:

Post a Comment