The Prince and the Frogess?


As a little girl I would look in the mirror with a pink lace veil over my face (or anything that resembled one) held with with a headband and clips, believing I was a princess or atleast I was meant to be one.
I would sing my heart out like I was in a disney film, making up the words as I went along.
I had a vivid imagination, I preferred my own company to those of my toys sitting on my bed.
I would imagine great stories of being taken from evil kidnappers, I would be locked in a tower, I'd faint and then the charming prince would come to the rescue and take me on his white horse, or even unicorn.

I guess this is the story of any young girl who imagines her future in the arms of a prince and living in a castle with everything at hand.

Unfortunately as the years pass you come to realise that Fairytales are just that, stories that aren't going to happen, ever.

Now we live in 2011 and I wonder to myself; do girls still have these sorts of dreams and fantasies? I have a sister more than ten years younger than me and I do recall her dressing up but I never questioned her if she ever had these thoughts or played like I used to. Maybe I should start from there.

However, another important question I have is, In 2011 what do boys dream of? Do they play and sometimes dream of when that princess will save them and make them their King? Do they wonder if they will get chosen and be looked after?



I mean we do live in a time where women look after their men, and I don't mean the traditional way. Women really do do everything and maybe in the eyes of little boys when they see their mums they think, wow, she is Superwoman and I want to be rescued by someone like her just like dad was....
What do superwomen usually do?
They study, work, cook, clean, go to the gym, pamper themselves, go shopping (for food and generally for their men)...then when it is time and they are finally ready (and I do not mean time for themselves) they decide to follow natures course and have children.
Nowadays, I have seen a lot of women complain about how feminism has changed us and now we don't have our prioties right. We leave children till last. This can be seen as something good or bad depending on everyone's personal views, but either way most women out there manage, ALWAYS.

Fortunately in most parts of the World, especially Europe, men accept the equality of women, in fact they expect a woman to work and meet all that I have listed above and more.
So that is clear, I am not explaining anything new. But will childhood dreams change?

Will little boys run around in their plastic armour and sword hoping to find the stolen princess? Will they sit at home daydreaming of what his Superwoman will be like? Will disney films change so that the frog is the woman and the prince has to kiss her to realise that beauty isn't everything?

Will girls pretend to be A-class business entrepeneurs instead of wearing a pink cinderella dress?

Times have changed and only time will tell....

But now when I look in the mirror without my pink veil, and out of tune, non-existant singing voice, I question myself, How lucky is my guy for finding me?
Confidently I can say he will never find anyone as great as me...And I do believe many women would agree with me...whereas before I'm sure women would of commented otherwise... no?

This is no dig at boys or men, its not meant to be humiliating having a princess that rescue's you, If i was told i was the saviour then I would be honoured to know that.
I also think it would be wonderful if a man and woman can feel equal in feelings and their is no distinction in who saves who,in the end we all need to save eachother....

No comments:

Post a Comment