Buddhism in Modern life - Session 1


For over a month now I have been assisting a Buddhist centre with a friend.

Why?

Because I was facing my own daily struggles and wanted to find a new way to help me not get worked up over almost everything that was in front of me.

Why not visit a psychologist?

A psychologist costs money, unless you do it on the national health but sometimes they have no time for you and it makes you feel worse. A psychiatrist also costs money and drugs are involved and sometimes it is really unnecessary as it has its negative things, like the fact while you are medicating you aren’t yourself. You have a false happiness and the day you stop medicating you will desperately miss it and this to me, causes great dependence.

I don´t disagree with going to a psychologist but in these times of crisis I wanted to find other methods to find my inner peace.

Is a Buddhist centre focused on depression, religion and meditating?

No, the Buddhist centre I visit has different sessions and the one I have been attending is Buddhism in the modern world. I have also gone to a one off session on how to prevent anxiety.

What have I learnt so far?

So far I’m learning that each and every one of us needs to find our inner selves. We all need to learn why we react to certain things,

Why do we feel depressed?

Why do we get anxiety?

Why we have to accept people for who they are.

My friends at work laugh at me, they ask when I am going to levitate and murmur “ommmmmmmmmm” as I pass.

I’m not going to try and sell it to anyone. I’m doing this for myself, but if anyone does show interest I will obviously be honest and explain why it has helped me. People don’t know my struggles unless it’s my boyfriend that has to put up with my moping around and crying.

When this became a daily thing and I was blaming the past on everything that was happening today, I thought, no one is going to save me but myself. People do judge especially when they aren’t living your life, but this isn’t a sob story, on the contrary. I live with what I have lived and we all can as long as you learn how to tackle the past.

That’s the first approach we need to take, to better ourselves.

How can we better ourselves?

First thing I was taught in my first Buddhist session was to love and respect everyone as if they were your Mother?

More than one looked across the room thinking, “Mmmmm….?”

I really didn’t understand this comment. Some kids have had terrible mothers, let alone the ones you read about in the newspapers where Mothers beat their kids or abandon them and even let them die. So if as a child someone has gone through this how can this be a real example?

Well we asked the teacher. His response, “your mother didn’t abort you, did she? She gave birth to you. Just with this great gift of life you have to appreciate the person we call mother and try and treat everyone the same”.

Some people are cruel, a pain in the backside and we can’t expect to handle everyone, so how can I treat them like a mother.

You don’t, but all they say is to have respect.

Why is it when an old woman of 90 years old can be forgiven for being cranky or moody but a young 27 year old can’t get away with it? What is the difference?

Your response: The 90 year old lady isn’t well.

Let me ask you like the Buddhist asked us, and is the 27 year old well? The answer is no.

If a young girl, mother, family member, friend, colleague (whatever he/she is) has a character that you find difficult to handle why not say, she isn’t well instead of criticizing them and ignoring their possible needs?

This was a difficult lesson to understand but I do understand it.

I had an enemies list, they weren’t my enemies though, they were people that for some reason had grown to dislike me, who didn’t want anything to do with me and this made me angry, this made me feel horrible inside and this was something I wanted to change. So, when the Buddhist told us these two important facts, treat everyone as your mother and accept everyone for who they are, if they treat you badly, cut them off and accept they aren’t well.

Apart from the lessons we get each week, we also meditate. This is a very difficult process which I am improving on every week but I don’t want to post on this until I begin to master it.

So far I can tell you that from my first meditation to my latest I have improved. I can release the bad vibes (black cloud) from within and fill myself up with only good, peace and the white cloud.

I must admit this is a very difficult process, all I think about is, what shall I cook when I get home? Will so and so be happy with what I did at work? Will my mother in law ever accept me…?

Shoo shoo thoughts, go away! These are questions I don’t need to be asking myself. All I need to think about is taking all the negativity out and finding the person I am.

…to be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment