Leticia and Brazil

Day 4 was a bit of a chill out day, we were meant to go canoeing but the night before we went to see a Shauman (typical medicine man of the Amazons). There we went to do Yahee, which is a herbal drink you take to take out all the evil spirits. This is a typical thing done in South America and to be honest at first I wasn't too keen on the idea as I had heard many different opinions....
We went to see this man and I was expecting to meet an old man, with long hair, with his bare clothes and be barefoot. It was nothing like that. The man was in his 40's and waited for us at the bar....He took us to his maloca and there we began the ritual. We sat infront of the man while he cleansed us to prepare us for the yahee. He said some things about each of us that were only partly true. He did his ritual and made us clean ourselves with plants mixed with different liquids.
After that we did the yahee, he blew out the candle and we sat in the dark and waited. The problem was Andy and I were not really ready for this as we were not meant to do the yahee until the next day. So we both had a heavy dinner which meant that the yahee didn't really take affect. The shauman sang his prayers and sang to take our bad spirits away. This lasted a few hours and when he saw it wasn't really taking affect he told us to go home and come again tomorrow to try again.
But.....we started to walk home and it started to take effect on my body, I started walking sideways, almost drunk like, My head was still in it's place but I couldn't control my walk. I started to see things, tigers, horses and penguins come towards me. I knew it was the drink but I couldn't help seeing these things. After walking 3 km's on this I wanted to just get home and pass out. We arrived back to the hostel and that is when the effect hit me. Lights were leaving my body, infact shooting out. Everytime I moved sparkling things shot out too! The whole feeling was weird but calm too. I did not panic at all which is good, but I wouldn't recommend this to just anyone. This is almost like a hallucinagenic drug but natural, I think each person can decide whether they believe that their spirit has been taken. I was told my moodiness would go and that I would feel stronger.
The next day I did feel very calm, very pacific and I couldn't really communicate properly.
So to be honest I do not know if this worked on me. I would like to believe it though.
The next day we didn't go though as this makes you lose a whole day as you feel weak and very very tired.
This is way be decided to have a chill out day.
We both headed out to Leticia and decided to go for some lunch.

The streets of Leticia covered in these pink plants, looks almost decorative....




Loved this scene, the cat on the tin roof and the dog on the street. They were in time with eachother as they searched for food...
Yet again eating chicken, frijoles, platain and rice.... This was our lunch, very original for Colombia, sorry to my fellow Colombian friends do not want to be offensive but it is very tiring as too filling for my ickle tummy.
After lunch we decided to hire out a moped and drive to Brazil, hiring a ped is very cheap 30,000 pesos which is around 10 pounds for the day. Brazil is literally down the road from Colombia and we were told to visit a bar in Tapatinga called Comara....
As soon as we hit Brazil we could tell we were in another country, it was crazy as it was a lot more lively that Leticia was. We drove to Comora and found it was packed with people, but strangely the people were all sitting infront of the bar on their mopeds.


Comara bar in Brazil, was very hectic, full of people on peds, listening to music from the bars, there was also a guy with his pick up with huge sound system with his electro music....


Comora is famous to see the Amazon river and the sunset.....we stayed there for a while as the music was blasting and the beer, very cold!! yum....Only problem is the bar toilets are sooo dirty, all I will compare it to is like trainspotting....almost got sick.....lovely.

The sunset from Brazil....





We look moody but we were just trying a straight face pose....
After our beer and seeing the brazilian ladies dance we decided to head back to Colombia. We were told not to stay after 20.00 as the people get very drunk and many fights start, and we could see the temperatures were rising in the bar so we thought it was best to leave.
And good we left when we did as while we were driving through Brazil we saw a young class of Capoeira practising. This is a martial art dance which I have always found appealing....








We headed back to Leticia after seeing the Capoeira and then headed back to our Hostel. Was great having a moped and not having to walk those 3 km, although I can't complain on how fit I have been keeping.

Once we got back to the Hostel, Elena the woman in charge told us we could go again on the night walk considering it was raining the night we left. We saw more Spiders, ants and mushrooms.
Ants on a tree branch....
Mummy Tarantula with her babies....
The rainforest by night (with flash otherwise you don't see shizzle)

No comments:

Post a Comment